Friday, February 25, 2011

It Knows Know Boundaries

When I hung up the phone last night, I realized that what I just did was an idea someone had. The idea of talking to someone by using a tool to help us communicate with one another seamlessly. Most of us take for granted the easy accessibility of the internet and the electricity. I could understand how it feels not to be connected to the internet and not have electricity at the same time.

I use to often stay at my late dad's village in Batu Pahat, Johor when I was in primary school. Every long holidays he would pick the whole family up from Singapore back to Johor and back when school is about to reopens. During that time, we do get a blackout due to some technical fault and the whole village would be in darkness and everyone would be using candles.

Okay, maybe I wasn't so affected by the blackout but I use to watch the TV often then and at times I missed out some shows and cartoons. Living in blackout is not easy but we worked it out especially when night comes. We can't see much and we tend to stay close to one another for safety. I was definitely afraid of the dark then, but not too much now, only if I don't think too much about what's there in the dark. Anything that uses electricity was kind of useless. But when the blackout was over, life had a new life. I was back watching TV, lying down with the fan blowing cool wind at me. Lights filled up the house and everything was back to normal. Life was simple at the village for me then. Then came the internet.

There wasn't internet back at Johor then and even now. But back at Singapore, when I first got internet, it was so addictive. There was a cap for the amount of data I could use. I think it was less than 1GB. I can't remember the exact amount but anyway, I always exceed the data and my aunt had to pay more for the excess usage. The computer and the internet was shared between me and my elder brother. I think this was when I was back in primary 3 or 4? Wow. That's like 12 years back.

How simple ideas like the electricity and the internet changed the world. It has crossed oceans and continents to change lives of human beings for better or worse. I Skyped last night and it ended my day so much better than I had expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment